Formjacking: The Invisible Threat To E-Commerce Websites
Formjacking, a cyber threat that targets online transaction forms to siphon off sensitive customer data. This menace is particularly concerning for small to medium-sized e-commerce platforms, where security measures may not be as robust as in larger corporations.
What is Formjacking?
Formjacking is a deceptive technique where cybercriminals inject malicious scripts into web forms to hijack personal and payment information as it’s entered by users.
This information is then stealthily transmitted to servers controlled by the attackers. The insidious nature of formjacking lies in its discretion; customers and website owners may remain oblivious to the breach until long after the event.
The Hidden Dangers of Formjacking
The risks associated with formjacking are multifaceted and can have far-reaching implications for businesses:
- Data Compromise: A successful formjacking attack can lead to significant data breaches, putting customers’ personal and financial information at risk.
- Financial Repercussions: The illicit acquisition of payment details can result in unauthorized transactions, leading to financial losses and potential disputes with credit institutions.
- Brand Integrity: Trust is the cornerstone of customer loyalty. A formjacking incident can tarnish your brand’s reputation, potentially causing irreversible damage.
Navigating Legal Waters: GDPR Compliance
In the UK, the legal framework surrounding data protection is stringent. The GDPR mandates that businesses implement adequate security measures to safeguard customer data.
Failure to comply can result in substantial fines and legal action. Formjacking breaches can thus not only harm your customers but also place your business in a precarious legal position.
Protecting Your Business from Formjacking
Prevention is better than cure, especially when it comes to cyber security. Here are some proactive steps you can take to protect your business from formjacking attacks:
- Regular Security Audits: Conduct thorough security assessments of your website to identify and rectify vulnerabilities.
- Code Integrity Checks: Monitor and verify the integrity of the scripts running on your website to detect any unauthorised changes.
- Secure Payment Gateways: Employ reputable and secure payment gateways that offer advanced fraud protection features.
Take Action: Secure Your Website Today
Don’t wait for a formjacking attack to realise the importance of website security. Take the initiative to protect your business and your customers. Consider scheduling a website security audit to assess your current defenses and identify areas for improvement.
I am a cyber security ethical hacker who can help fortify your website against formjacking and other threats. In my career I have fixed hundreds of hacked websites where I’ve fixed the issues and resecured the website.